Saturday, July 12, 2014

Cookie Dough for the Freezer


When it comes to baking cookies, I tend to go in spurts. Obviously around Christmas time I do the majority of cookie baking and then every so often throughout the remaining months. If I can help it, I love to have prepared cookie dough balls in the freezer. When I need a quick dozen made for friends stopping by or a bake sale at the kids' school, it's not a big deal. Or if I'd rather us not eat three dozen cookies within a few days, I make sure to stash some of the dough away to prevent that from happening.


You can see there's plenty of reasons as to why it's helpful to keep your freezer stocked with cookie dough. But let's just be honest, there are days when I'd rather not stand in front of the stove rotating pan after pan of cookies. I just want to bake a quick dozen and be done. It takes me way less time to prepare a sheet of dough balls and be done. I'd rather be outside playing with the kiddos.


We've all got our favorites, the hubby loves his chocolate chip, the girls always request grandma's molasses cookies and one of my favorites have always been an old fashioned oatmeal raisin. I wish I would have had more time and energy but the other day I decided on chocolate chip and these toffee malted cookies I haven't made in years.

They are one of the first recipes I ever baked and instantly became a favorite in our family. I've since made a few adaptions, but the recipe originated from an old Taste of Home magazine my mom had. It's a soft, chewy cookie with crushed Whopper and Heath candy bits inside. Just an all-around great cookie that anyone would enjoy.


Before I share the recipe with you, I first just want to take you through the easy process of preparing your cookie dough for the freezer. After you've mixed up the dough, using your cookie scoop, place dough balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flash freeze for at least one hour, you'll want the balls to be completely frozen. Then transfer to a large freezer bag that has been dated and labeled. When ready to bake, simply remove cookie dough from the bag and place onto a cookie sheet to thaw. Once thawed you can then bake according to the recipe's instructions. Pretty easy!


Toffee Malted Cookies

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3.4 oz. package french vanilla instant pudding
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup instant oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup finely crushed Whopper candy
3/4 cup Heath bits (found in the baking aisle)

Directions:
In the stand of a large mixer, cream together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, pudding and vanilla. Gradually add in baking soda, salt, oats and flour. Batter will be getting thick. Mix in both candy bits until well incorporated.

To freeze: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop, drop dough balls onto the parchment paper. Place in freezer for at least one hour or until frozen. Then transfer to a large freezer bag that has been labeled with contents and date. When ready to use, place dough balls onto a prepared cookie sheet. Let thaw and then bake in the oven.

To prepare cookies: Bake at 350 degrees for 12-13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Store cookies in an airtight container. Makes almost 3 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. I love freezing cookie dough! You've reminded me I need to do this again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...