Sunday, July 14, 2013

Thick and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


If I had choose a favorite cookie, hands down it would be oatmeal raisin. I have fond memories of my godmother making them for us, they were so good, I need to actually get her recipe. In the meantime though, I think I've come up with a pretty darn good replacement.

Ally posted a really good recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies a little while back. My first reaction when I read her recipe was "I bet I could make this into a really good oatmeal raisin one!". I have tried tons of oatmeal cookie recipes only to have them turn out flat, not how I want. They taste wonderful but seem to be lacking shape.


I'm so glad these turned out on my first try! They are everything I want in a cookie. Thick, soft but a little chewy, full of cinnamon flavor with raisins in each bite. These make a lot, as in four dozen so I'm glad I froze half of the dough for later use. We can't be trusted with that many cookies laying around our house!




Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 cups raisins

In a large bowl or a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla, mix well. Mix in baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually add in flour and rolled oats. Batter will be pretty thick. Finally, mix in raisins well or fold in with spatula.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a cookie scoop, drop dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Bake for 12 minutes or until just slightly golden.  Makes 4 dozen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...