Friday, August 31, 2012

Molasses Cookies



My mom is quite the cook, maybe I'm just biased but she can make a fantastic home-cooked meal. For as long as I can remember she's been cooking and baking, both professionally and at home.

While I definitely like to experiment more in the kitchen, my mom tends to stick to simple, good food. I have fond memories of her preparing meatloaf, pot roast and one of my favorites, her homemade chicken and noodles. She's given me her recipe and I've tried to make them numerous times but I just can't get them to turn out like hers. I don't know what it is, I give up for now.....I'll just keep visiting when they're on the menu.

Molasses cookies were a staple in our house growing up, along with her snickerdoodles (I'll have to share that recipe another time). My own kids have grown to love these cookies. Whenever grandma takes requests, they are always at the top of the list.


I think a lot of us have wonderful memories growing up that revolve around food. One of my favorites is of our Sunday visits to my grandma's house and helping my grandma and mom make homemade pizza. It's the little things like that, that we will cherish forever!


Molasses Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 c shortening
1 c brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
2 1/4 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger

Directions:
In a large bowl cream together shortening and brown sugar. Add in egg and molasses, mix well. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Add to cream mixture. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and dip tops into sugar. Place balls sugar side up on a non stick cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 6-8 mins.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, thanks for linking up with Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...