Monday, June 9, 2014

Freezer Meal Gift Basket #2


Last July I shared with you a gift I made for one of my friends whom had just had her fourth baby. I had never made anything like this before but knew I wanted to combine my love of freezer cooking with something that would benefit her and her family in the coming weeks. Now if I had unlimited resources and time, I honestly would have stocked her freezer for months to come; but we know that's not possible. So I settled on a few items I thought they would enjoy.

Today, that first freezer meal basket is my most popular post on the blog. I can't get over the excitement about this idea, I only wish I would have thought of it sooner! I'm so glad that others are able to share this sort of gift with their friends and family, because all of us moms know how wonderful it is to have home cooked meals within arms reach during those first weeks home with the little one.


I used some of my free time last week to work on another basket for one of my good friends. She's due with her second child any day now and I know how much this will help them while they're getting adjusted to having another child in the home.

I had a hard time finding just the right container for the meals, I really had hoped for one of the cloth totes I used last year. I finally settled on this nesting basket, I figured it's got plenty of space for other storage such as toys. Plus I love the handles!


I included the following items:

Mini pancake bites - both blueberry and sausage
Twice baked potatoes
Meatloaf burgers
Overnight coffee cake
Mexican chicken stuffed shells

Each recipe makes quite a bit, especially for smaller families. The stuffed shells for example, I was able to get three pans of 12 shells. That's like three separate meals for them. When preparing a gift like this, it helps to know some of their favorites, things they don't like and any allergies. Fortunately I think my friends are probably some of the most easy going people and like just about anything.

So there you have it, another awesome gift to surprise a new mom with. I love making these, they are a lot of fun and much appreciated.

Have you ever done anything like this for a friend or family member? Share some of your stories below, I'd love to hear them!




1 comment:

  1. I made a meal for a friend who had surgery. I started doing freezer meals for myself before my second child enough for several weeks of meals for my husband to reheat. I did the same when I had surgery. Sure is nice not to have to worry about that sort of thing when you are tired! I try to keep them onhand during "normal" times too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...