Monday, March 3, 2014

Snickerdoodle Cookies



So things are getting a little more back to normal around here. Friday we wrapped up our month long spending strike, you can read about our final week here. I was happy to go grocery shopping but also a little overwhelmed at the same time. I didn't feel like meal planning and I certainly didn't want to purchase a ton of food. But it turned out okay, I planned out two weeks worth of meals, which actually didn't take me very long at all. Then I made my list of ingredients needed plus some other things we were either out of or very low on. That was it though, I didn't go overboard stocking up on anything and everything. My cupboards are pretty full but not bulging. I think I really do have a different outlook now. I like to have a nice stockpile but I don't want to be wasting. I want to make sure we are using up what we purchase, because if I have to throw away food that's expired before we used it all up; then how it that saving me money in the long run?

The remainder of our weekend was actually pretty fun.  The older two girls got to have a date night with their grandparents at the rodeo. While the hubby and I took our youngest on a little outing to the toy store. She'll be turning four years old tomorrow so we thought we'd take her to pick out a couple new toys for her birthday.


On Sunday we planned to eat dinner with my family, I figured I would make her cake to take along, that way we'd have some help eating it. My mom always likes to make a special dinner for our birthdays, usually letting the birthday guest choose what they'd like to eat. Grandma made a nice ham dinner complete with mashed potatoes, scalloped corn, beans, homemade rolls and these cookies. My girls always request grandma's molasses and snickerdoodle cookies.

Besides chocolate chip, they are my mom's main staples when it comes to cookie baking. And that's okay with us because they are always so good! Soft and chewy with a cinnamon-sugar coating, I'm sure you can see why they love these old-fashioned cookies so much.



Snickerdoodle Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup shortening {can substitute butter}
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2-3/4 cup flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
additional sugar and cinnamon for rolling in

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, cream together shortening {or butter} and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and baking soda and mix well. Gradually mix in the flour and beat until well incorporated.

In a small bowl combine a little bit of sugar and cinnamon for rolling cookie dough in and set aside.

Using a cookie scoop, roll dough balls into cinnamon-sugar mixture and then place onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes for soft cookies, 10 minutes for crispy. Makes 3 dozen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...