Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Delicata Chips


I know what you're thinking, why the squash lady? Bear with me here though. We still have to eat, and foods other than desserts. I've got some of those up my sleeves this holiday season, but let's try to round this out a little bit, shall we?

I told you all about my small makeshift root cellar we put together this year. Well, I'm being a good steward and not letting those veggies go to waste. And I've personally come to love squash of all varieties in my adult years. Crazy how that happens. It's still a work in progress with the children and even the hubby, but we're getting there. They at least humor me and give most everything a try.


Delicata, or sweet potato squash, is one that I've only tried just this year. It's fairly small and has a very delicate skin, in fact you don't even have to peel it. It's also one that won't last for long in storage, so I'm making sure we eat these up before some of our others.

So far, I'm keeping these pretty simple. Cutting them in half and then slicing each side into smaller pieces, tossing with olive oil, salt and pepper and then roasting in the oven. So good! Each slice is tender and has a wonderful, almost sweet taste to it. They are great for snacking or of course, as a side dish. You won't need any sort of dipping sauce, but I've always had good luck getting the hubby to try new veggies when he can dip them in hot sauce; so I figured why not?  Even better in my book. I've still got a couple of these left in our winter storage, we might try stuffing them for a new variation; but if all else fails, I know we'll love this version just as much!


Delicata Squash

Ingredients:
1 medium delicata squash
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
hot sauce or buffalo sauce, for serving

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and set aside.

Wash the skin of squash. Slice in half the long way and using a spoon, scoop out pulp and seeds. Then slice each half again into 1/2 inch slices.

Place squash onto prepared baking sheet. Toss all slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 25 minutes, then using a spatula turn all slices over. Bake for another 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Serve immediately with hot or buffalo flavored sauce, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...