Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese


I'm not typically a huge mac and cheese eater, but I will enjoy a little bit on occasion.  If I had my choice, I'd eat this version every other week. The hubby on the other hand, loves it. Anytime we get to go out to eat, if given the choice he usually goes for mac and cheese as a side dish, besides fries of course.

I absolutely despise the blue box variety and I'm sorry if you happen to like it, no judging here. There's just nothing about it I like, from the taste to the unnecessary ingredients they use. In an attempt to make a delicious homemade version, I have tried several recipes over the years. Mostly baked in the oven and most of them not very good.


I'm confident I have finally discovered my go-to recipe, with a little help from Cook's Illustrated. I can always count on their recipes when I need some help. This particular version cooked up very quickly and I love that! We had ham steak with this the other night and it was really good all mixed together. I also can't wait to experiment with other varieties of cheese, maybe a little pepper jack for a kick.

What do you think, what's your favorite cheese to add in macaroni?


Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:
8 oz. elbow macaroni
2 eggs
12 oz. can evaporated milk
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 tbsp butter
12 oz. grated cheese (I used a medium cheddar)

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to boil, cook macaroni until al dente.

While that's cooking, combine eggs, 1 cup of the milk and hot sauce. Set aside.

Drain pasta when done and return back to pot. Add in butter and toss together until melted. Pour in egg mixture along with 3/4 of the cheese. Stir well until cheese melts. Add in salt, pepper,remaining milk and cheese and let cook on low for five more minutes, until cheese is melted. Season with additional salt or pepper if needed.

Serve while warm.

Adapted from: Cook's Illustrated

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...