Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mini Baked Oatmeal Cups


Even though I absolutely love summer, the scorching hot days spent relaxing by the water and soaking up the sunshine are my favorite. I am sort of looking forward to those cool, crisp mornings when school starts. Those mornings when we reach for a bowl of hot oatmeal to warm us up as we leave the house. This particular oatmeal.

It's my favorite, sweetened with brown sugar and cinnamon; I love tossing in a handful of raisins and maybe even some pecans. Or some days I'll reach for whatever fruit we have in the fridge or freezer. It warms me up and keeps me feeling full all morning long.


Most of the time I'll bake up a small 8x8-inch pan and then enjoy the leftovers throughout the week. This morning I tried something a little different though. Instead of baking in one pan, I divided the mixture between the wells of a muffin pan. Brilliant, right? Then I can take one or two from the freezer as I wish and not feel like I have to eat oatmeal for an entire week. Not that it really ever lasts that long.


I think I like this version much better and will continue to bake it this way. Everyone can add their own favorite toppings and be satisfied.


Mini Baked Oatmeal Cups

Ingredients:
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter, melted

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients together. Add in milk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Stir together. Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter into wells of a muffin pan. Filling until 3/4 full. * I did not use liners but if you would rather, you can certainly use those. Foil or silicone might be your best options.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before trying to remove from pan.

For freezing: Once completely cooled, run a knife along the edges of each well and carefully remove oatmeal cup. Set onto a baking sheet and freeze for one hour. Then transfer to a freezer bag that has been dated and labeled with contents. Be sure to remove all air and seal shut. Place into freezer until ready to use.

When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave for one minute or until warm. You could also reheat in the oven or toaster oven. Serve with desired toppings and a little extra milk.

Makes 12 oatmeal cups

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...