Friday, July 18, 2014

DIY Cream Soup


I don't cook with those cream of "whatever" soups very often, actually I can't even remember the last time I've used one. I don't care for the taste and I really do not like what's all included in the ingredient list. Yuck!

But sometimes I come across an intriguing recipe that contains it. Making my own cream soup has been on my to-make list for over a year now and it's about time I tackled it. I did some good ol' googling and searching and came up with a really good way to make my own now.

It's pretty versatile, I had some celery on hand so I used that. But mushrooms or chicken would be excellent choices as well. I highly recommend using chicken stock, especially homemade if possible, I think it gives the soup mixture an awesome flavor.

Feel free to double or triple the recipe if this is something you might use often. It's really very inexpensive to make, has a much better flavor and so much better for your health compared to the store bought versions.


DIY Cream Soup

Ingredients:
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
1/4 cup diced celery, mushrooms or chicken
1 heaping tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch of paprika

Directions:
In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly to eliminate clumps and cook until mixture starts bubbling. Let cook for about one minute longer.

Stir in chicken stock and milk, stirring very well. Let cook until mixture becomes a sauce-like consistency, make sure to stir constantly.

Add in choice of vegetable or meat, cheese, and seasonings. Stir well and let simmer for about 3-4 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

To prepare for freezer: Pour cream soup into a freezer safe container. Cover with lid and place into fridge to let cool completely. Then transport to the freezer. Make sure container is dated and labeled with contents.

When ready to use, remove from freezer. Let thaw in fridge until ready to use. Use as directed in desired recipe.

Makes 2 cups

________________________________________________________________


Check out the great produce we just picked up from a local farm, minus a cantaloupe that didn't make the picture. This is exactly why I love summer! I'll be busy this weekend processing all of these blueberries for the freezer. I'll definitely be making some more of this blueberry-orange freezer jam. We've been out for awhile now and it's one of our favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...