Friday, June 27, 2014

Berry Fruit Crisp


Last Saturday after we finished up with our garage sale, the girls and I ventured back out to the strawberry farm. Although it was the middle of the afternoon and very warm, I was determined to pick another twenty pounds for jam making and to fill my freezer with. I spent Monday making jam, we got 15 jars stashed in the freezer and that should be plenty. I'm a little sad that I've only managed to get three quart sized bags of sliced berries in the freezer for winter. We've been eating them so much that they disappear quickly.

Since there wasn't much left and I really haven't made anything with them like I originally planned, I thought of this fruit crisp. Crisps are the perfect summer desserts! You can add practically any type of fruit or berry and top with that delicious brown sugar-oat crumble topping and it's absolutely delicious.


Look how browned and crunchy that gets. And served warm with a scoop of ice cream, I really don't think there's anything better.


You know, Fourth of July is exactly one week away. With berries being in abundance this time of year, I think it's only right you add this to your menu. I went with blueberry and strawberry only because that's what I had in the fridge. Of course, blackberry and raspberry would be great additions. It's a perfect crowd pleaser and so easy to whip up. I'll also note, this dessert is best served the day it's made or the day after. After that it starts to get mushy and I love that crunchy topping to stay that way.


Berry Fruit Crisp

Ingredients:
5 cups fruit {I used 2 c blueberries, 3 c halved strawberries}
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

crumble topping:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 stick butter, cubed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking dish and set aside.

In a large bowl mix together three cups of the fruit with the flour, sugar, salt, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir to combine well. Spread berries into bottom of prepared pan. Top with the remaining two cups of berries.

To make the topping: In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and salt. Stir together using a fork or whisk. Add in cubed butter and stir together using your hands or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle topping over berries. Bake for 45 minutes or until berries are bubbly and topping is browned. Remove from oven and let cool before serving. Best served just slightly warmed and with vanilla ice cream on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...