Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sweet Potato Hash


This might not look like your typical child's lunch, but I have to say I've always prided myself on what I serve to my daycare kids. Now, I am far from perfect. We've had the occasional mac and cheese but I really do try to stay away from that stuff. I figure if I don't want to eat it, why should I force them to?

I didn't do any prep work ahead of time, like I normally might do, and still had lunch on the table within 30 minutes. I don't provide care for a large group, I've always liked to keep mine on the smaller side. But four kids is still four kids and I understand that it's not always easy.


Here I made use of ingredients we had on hand. A very simple dish, nothing complicated. I think the sweet potato and ground pork go very well together and bell peppers are always good in just about anything. I added a little bit of cinnamon and paprika for seasoning, then placed a fried egg on top. Of course on the kids' plates the egg was on the side and they had some fresh raspberries too.

Everyone ate really well. Of course they all have their dislikes. One doesn't really like peppers but always tries a bite. Another one didn't really eat much of the sweet potato. And that's totally okay with me! At least they're trying new things and who knows, one day they just might love that particular food.

I, on the other hand really enjoyed this dish. I think it works well for lunch or dinner, but maybe even for breakfast. Why not? Plus if you're following a gluten free or paleo diet, this would be a perfect meal to add to your repertoire.


Sweet Potato Hash

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground pork
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
fried egg, to top each serving

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash potatoes and cut into small cubes. Throw onto a cookie sheet greased well with coconut oil. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until softened. Using a spatula, make sure to turn potatoes at least once while cooking.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, brown ground pork until no longer pink. Drain any grease and return to skillet. Add in diced bell pepper and let cook over low heat. Sprinkle in seasonings and stir well to combine.

Once sweet potatoes are cooked through, add those into the skillet. Let cook on low to keep warm while you prepare the eggs to serve on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...