Friday, April 25, 2014

Buttermilk Biscuits


Yesterday was one of those cold, rainy and just darn right dreary days. Made me want to curl up on the couch with my blanket and a good book or get in the kitchen and do some baking. I chose the latter.

In attempt to keep the heat off and warm up the house at the same time, I worked on a new cookie recipe {stay tuned!} and these homemade biscuits. Goofy me penciled in homemade pizza for dinner but completely forgot to add the necessary ingredients to my grocery list, so I needed a new plan. Yes, it would have been just as easy to make an extra trip to the store during the week, but I figured we had plenty of hand for another meal.


So this is what we ended up with for dinner last night: breakfast sandwiches, pan-fried potatoes and fresh pineapple and strawberries. A pretty stellar meal if you ask me.

And truth be told, I spent way more time on those cookies than I did making these biscuits. Do you make your own or purchase store-bought? I hope by the time we're done here, I can convince you to make your own. It's certainly cheaper in this case and so easy! I promise, start to finish in less than 30 minutes.


Buttermilk might be the only ingredient you possibly don't have on hand to make these, and that's not even a big deal. Just add a tablespoon of lemon juice to your regular milk and viola, you've got "sour milk". We all know everything generally tastes better when you make it yourself; besides recognizing what ingredients are included in your dish, I think we all appreciate our food that much more when we make it ourselves. These are no exception, especially topped with homemade jam. We tried both strawberry and blueberry-orange, a couple of favorites in our house!

I hope you'll be inspired next time to try your hand at making your own made from scratch biscuits. Get the kids involved, they'll love helping! I think next on my list is definitely adding some of these breakfast sandwiches to my freezer. They would make for quick and easy breakfasts that everyone is sure to love.


Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
5 tbsp butter, cold and cubed
3/4 cup buttermilk, plus 2 tbsp more

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Cut in butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add in buttermilk and mix together until dough forms a ball.

Transfer dough onto a well floured surface. Knead dough a few times. Press out until 3/4 inch thick and cut out biscuits using a round biscuit/cookie cutter or even a drinking glass. Place biscuit rounds onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes, until biscuits are turning golden brown. Makes 8 medium sized biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...