Monday, April 21, 2014

Banana Pudding Dessert


We enjoyed a very nice Easter weekend, as I hope all of you did too. It was busy of course, but lots of fun times with family. I'll admit though, I'm hoping this coming weekend is a little calmer. I love our days when we can spend our time at home, just the five of us hanging out.

We split our Sunday up between our two families. The in-laws after church for brunch and then my family later in the evening for dinner. As usual, I'm in charge of dessert, although my mom did make some her chocolate chip bars as well. We needed just a little bit of chocolate, right?

Last weekend, both my dad and husband got to talking about banana cream pie. I already knew it's one of dad's favorites and the hubby really likes it too. So it was decided, I needed to make something along the lines of banana cream pie.


Here we have it, banana pudding dessert. Check out that meringue on top! I'm pretty proud of that, I really don't think I've ever tried making a dessert with meringue yet. You've got vanilla wafers, slices of ripe banana and made from scratch vanilla pudding all layered together in one dessert. Then of course, that gorgeous meringue on top.

It was definitely a wonderful ending to our traditional meal. It was well worth the time I spent mixing everything together, although I promise, I didn't slave away my afternoon in the kitchen. However, I will warn you; eat this dessert quickly. As it doesn't hold up well. We've got a little bit leftover today and I told the hubby he better eat it up tonight. I'm sure that's one order he won't mind following.


Banana Pudding Dessert

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups whole milk
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz. box vanilla wafers
3 ripe bananas

Meringue:
4 egg whites
5 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make pudding: Add sugar, flour and salt to a medium sized saucepan and stir together, set aside. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Gradually add in milk and stir together well. Pour egg mixture into the sugar mixture in saucepan, whisk together thoroughly and then add in butter. Let cook over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add in vanilla and then remove from heat to cool.

While the pudding is cooling, line vanilla wafers along a 11x7-inch baking dish. Peel and slice bananas and layer half of those on top of the wafers. Pour half of the pudding on top. Repeat one more layer of wafer cookies, bananas and the remaining pudding. Set aside and let that cool while you prepare the meringue.

To make meringue: In a large bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, probably about 7 minutes. Then add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Next add in cream of tarter. Gently fold in vanilla. Spread mixture on top of pudding. Bake in oven for about 12 minutes, until meringue is turning golden brown. Remove from oven. You may serve warm or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...