Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Roasted Honey Chickpeas


Snack time, we all love snacks whether we're kids or adults. Mid afternoon rolls around and we're reaching for the nearest thing to tide us over until dinner....am I right? In our house snacks mostly consist of fresh fruit, veggies, yogurt, string cheese and maybe the occasional homemade snack or packaged crackers.

It's nice to change it up from time to time. I always feel like we easily get in a rut when it comes to snacks. That's why I'm so excited to share these sweet and crunchy chickpeas with you! While they're not something I ever thought I would enjoy, they are disappearing quickly in our house. And I love the fact that it's a healthy treat.

They do take a little bit of effort to prepare, but not much I promise. The most tedious step is peeling off the outer layer of the beans, which I'm sure is not even required. After a little roasting in the oven, you've got yourself a healthy, slightly sweet and crunchy snack to munch on. Go on give them a try and let me know what you think.



Roasted Honey Chickpeas

Ingredients:
15 oz. can garbanzo beans {chickpeas}
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tbsp honey

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Rinse and drain beans from can, lay them onto paper towels and pat dry. Then remove the outer layer from each bean, this should easily slip off.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil and cinnamon. Add beans to mixture and toss to coat well. Distribute beans onto a baking sheet. Bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until crunchy.

Remove from oven, transfer to another bowl and toss with honey. Use between one and two tablespoons of honey, based on your preference. I used about 1-1/2 tbsp.

Bake for another 6-7 minutes. Then remove from oven and let cool completely before enjoying.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to try this but want them to be crispy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...