Monday, January 6, 2014

Maple Roasted Butternut Squash


This past Fall, at our last farmers market I made sure to stock up on a few things, including winter squash. I've never tried storing them for long periods of time. I'm excited that they've done so well this far, including a box of apples we picked back in October.

But it's time to start using them up, as we've only got a few left anyways.


The girls are still kind of funny about certain veggies, they really do prefer them in the raw state. Until very recently I was the same way for many vegetables. I've gotten so much better and after participating in our first CSA last summer, I crave them! I really miss receiving a boat load of fresh veggies every week.

I did require them to try two bites, two small pieces. I know, I'm mean. It won't hurt them, while they didn't really love the butternut squash, they didn't say it was awful. I'll take it!

I personally loved it. It's sort of sweet from the maple syrup but I love how the garlic really balances out the flavors. It was the perfect addition to our meal on Friday night, Parmesan crusted chicken.


Maple Roasted Butternut Squash

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
1 large clove garlic, peeled and halved
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel and seed butternut squash, cut into cubes. Place squash and garlic on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, maple syrup and salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven to turn squash using a spatula and then let bake for another 20 minutes. Serve warm with your meal.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great side to any meal! I've never tried storing vegetables for that long either...how awesome that they are still doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...