Monday, January 27, 2014

Cookies 'n Cream Parfaits


Besides this crappy weather we're currently having in northeast Iowa, it was a fabulous weekend in our house. We didn't do much of anything, which was welcomed by everyone; we also enjoyed these parfaits on Saturday evening.

I felt like making something special for the girls to enjoy after dinner. They definitely loved their pudding cups, especially because they had Oreos folded in the pudding, which is a huge treat in this house!


I like making my pudding and whipped cream from scratch, it's really pretty easy and tastes so much better than the store bought kind. But if you're feeling a little strapped on time or intimidated by the thought, by all means, whip up a box of instant pudding. But at least make your own whipped cream, I promise it will only take you three minutes. It's worth it, I swear!




Cookies 'n Cream Parfaits

Ingredients:

For the pudding:
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup chocolate chips {I used a combo of milk chocolate and semi-sweet}
1/2 tsp vanilla

For the whipped cream:
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
5-6 Oreos, crushed plus more for topping

Directions:
For the pudding:  In a saucepan, stir together sugar, corn starch, cocoa powder and salt. Gradually pour in milk and heavy cream, whisking to combine well. Let come to a boil, making sure to whisk constantly, let boil for about 2 minutes. The pudding will start to thicken at this point. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir until smooth.

Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge for at least two hours or until set.

To make whipped cream: Add cream to a large bowl. Using the whisk attachment, beat cream on a high speed. When the cream starts to thicken, gradually add in powdered sugar and vanilla. As the cream forms soft peaks you may stop mixing and fold in crushed Oreos.

To assemble parfaits: Layer pudding and whipped cream into cups or bowls, ending with whipped cream. Sprinkle crushed Oreos on top if desired. Enjoy!

Makes enough for 3-4 good sized parfaits.



In other fun news, have you heard that I'm now a field editor with Taste of Home magazine? I'm pretty stoked about this new opportunity. I was surprised to come home Saturday morning from the girls' bowling league and find a box on my front porch. Of course the hubby instantly asked what I bought haha. These were just some of the goodies they sent me, how awesome is that?!

2 comments:

  1. My kiddos would love this dessert! Congrats on becoming a field editor! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea how to make homemade pudding...seriously no idea at all. And I've never tried to make my own whipped cream, but it is going on my to do list. Brady would have a blast helping! Thanks for the great recipes, can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...