Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Homemade Cereal Bars


We have a new favorite cookbook in our house, it's the Weelicious Lunches by Catherine McCord. Maybe you're already a fan of her food blog, Weelicious. I'm still a fairly new fan of hers, while I haven't read much of her blog I was very interested in a cookbook that dealt specifically with school lunches, healthy lunches at that.

The girls and I have enjoyed thumbing through the recipes and flagging which ones they'd like me to try. We have a lot of orange sticky notes in our cookbook right now! Last night I was able to cross one of those off my list. Tuesday nights seem to be my night to experiment a little in the kitchen lately, it's one of the few evenings where we don't have any place to be and we can relax at home.


Now I've told you a million times already, I don't buy much for convenience foods unless the hubby happens to sneak it into the house. Does anybody else's husbands do this? I swear if I send him to the store he comes home with at least a few things I would never normally buy. Nutri-Grain bars have only been in my cart probably a handful of times, they do make for great snacks and a quick breakfast if needed. But the price can really add up, wouldn't you agree?

I made just a couple small changes to the original recipe and I am thrilled with how well these turned out! In fact they're not lasting long and I can't wait to make another batch, try out a new flavor.The only change I might make is try to add more jam for the filling. They really are so easy to make and cheaper too. I think they even taste better, but everything tastes better when it's homemade. I can't wait for you to try these and let me know what you think!



Homemade Cereal Bars

Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup flour
1-1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 sticks cold butter, cut into cubes
3 tbsp ice cold water
1 cup strawberry jam

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor add both flours, oats, brown sugar and salt. Pulse for thirty seconds. Add in cubed butter, process until mixture is crumbly. Add in cold water and process until dough comes together.

Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper and lightly grease. Divide dough in half and press one portion into bottom of pan. Spread jam evenly on top of bottom layer. Take remaining dough and sprinkle over jam. I took small bits and sort of spread them out in my hands and then sprinkled them all over. Then take a spatula and try to smooth out the top layer.

Bake in oven for 45 minutes, bars will be golden brown and set. Let cool completely before removing from pan and cutting. Makes 12 bars


1 comment:

  1. These look easy enough. I'll have to put them on the list :) My husband brings junk into the house all the time...and it's tempting stuff like Klondike bars hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...