Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup


I made my first batch of soup this season last night. Even though it wasn't quite cold out, actually it was very nice out and warm enough for shorts. It just sounded good though. Delicious it was! It was even a big enough batch that we had enough for lunch today.

I almost made homemade noodles but who am I kidding? After working with kids all day, I just didn't have time. That's where the Reame's brand of frozen noodles come in handy. They are about as close to homemade that you can get in my opinion and they are really good.


I did make sure to use my homemade chicken stock though. I really think that's what helped make our soup taste so good, it really is just a simple, ordinary chicken noodle soup recipe. But using stock made from good, quality chicken is what makes this extra special.

Our first servings were definitely more soup like, I added extra broth to our bowls so we could enjoy that goodness. As it sat for a little bit though I noticed the noodles absorbed the broth and it became thick and more like chicken and noodles. So today for lunch essentially that's what we had. It was just as tasty, in fact I think the hubby enjoyed that more. Remember, he's not always a fan of soup. I need to make another batch soon, maybe even freeze some single servings. The girls would love to have this for lunch at school.

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:
8 cups chicken stock or store bought broth
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, diced
16 oz. frozen noodles {I used Reame's brand}
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. thyme

Directions:
In a large stockpot add all ingredients except noodles, stir to combine. Let cook over medium heat until broth comes to a boil. Add in frozen noodles, turn down heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and add additional seasonings if needed. Ladle into bowls and serve warm with crackers or fresh bread/rolls.

You can also let this cook on low in the crock pot throughout the day. Make sure to leave the noodles out until ready to serve. Add them to the crock pot, turn up to high and then let cook for about 30 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...