Monday, August 19, 2013

Streusel Squash Muffins


I've come to love summer squash but I have to be honest, I've about had enough of it for the summer. We've been receiving at least a few each week in our produce box, we love grilling it and adding it into other dishes but even still this morning I had four in my fridge. And that's not even counting the zucchini- that's a whole different story.

So when Michelle from Simplify, Live, Love posted about these on her facebook page last week, I was very intrigued. Muffins are a favorite around here, I try to keep the freezer stocked with some at all times for easy breakfasts and snacks.


The kids ate these so fast this morning I couldn't believe it! I was a little giddy with excitement. They had no clue these were filled with all kinds of healthy goodness. I think it's just as important for kids to actually eat their vegetables without having to sneak them into their foods, but hey if it works, there's nothing wrong with that.

I got just over two dozen regular sized muffins out of my batch, plenty for me to stash away for another day. I also made some without the streusel topping and the kids loved them just as much.


Streusel Squash Muffins

Ingredients:
2-3 yellow summer squash
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon

streusel topping:
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp butter
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Wash and trim ends off of squash, slice into small pieces. Add to a medium saucepan and fill about half way with water, cook over stove for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine both flours, sugars, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside. When squash is tender, drain water and dump into a food processor or blender and puree until it's reached your desired consistency.  In a bowl, combine mashed squash, eggs, melted butter, applesauce and vanilla. Add into dry ingredients and stir just until combined.

Combine struesel ingredients in a small bowl, cut in butter using a fork until mixture is crumbly. Spoon muffin batter into prepared muffin tins, top with streusel topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes and serve. Store extras in freezer for another day if desired.

Adapted from: Spookane Dinner Club


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...