Friday, August 16, 2013

Chicken Pasta Primavera



This time of year I think we've all got tons of veggies from the garden laying around waiting to be used up. At least that's how it's been in my house lately. I really do love it, but at time it can be an overwhelming thought.

One day at lunch last week it consisted of my throwing a bunch of ingredients, namely vegetables, into a skillet and creating the dish you see above. All while crossing my fingers and praying the kiddos would eat it. Some ate better than others but for the most part all five children present gobbled it up. Score for this mom/daycare provider!


I honestly love meals like this, it's what I would call a pantry staple. All ingredients I have on hand and I can substitute for whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Plus the kids and I had a great discussion regarding what vegetables certain animals like to eat. One of my daycare boys ate all of his carrots when we talked about bunnies enjoying carrots too.  We even decided bunnies like zucchini as well. Whatever works!

Chicken Pasta Primavera

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 zucchini, chopped
2 whole carrots, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 fresh green beans
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. basil
8 oz. pasta (I used angel hair)
1 seasoned chicken breast, cooked (I used an Italian seasoning blend)
Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat, add in zucchini, carrots and green beans. Let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes and garlic, let cook for one minute longer.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Slice chicken breast into strips. Add cooked pasta to vegetable mixture, toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve chicken over pasta in bowls.


Speaking of vegetables, here's what was in our produce box for this week. A lovely variety! I'm excited for more kale and we even got three different varieties of basil this week. There's a lemon kind that smells wonderful, I can't wait to cook with it!

1 comment:

  1. Love using all of the fresh veggies that the end of summer has to offer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...