Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Blueberry Breakfast Cake


I love this cake, I'd eat a piece everyday if I could but then that wouldn't be good for my waist now would it?  Josh's aunt and uncle from Missouri were in town last weekend, we had a nice brunch planned for Sunday morning with his entire family. I brought this breakfast cake along. I also brought home an empty dish.

I came across this recipe over a year ago, I've made it a few times since and can't believe I have yet to share it with you.  It's one of the best I've ever tried, but then again I love just about anything with blueberries added in. Oh and the lemon zest kicks it up to a whole 'nother level!


I decided to include a little bit of whole wheat flour and we loved it just as much. In fact I'm sure no one could even tell. I'm still a little nervous when it comes to baking with whole wheat flour, I don't know why though. Each time I'm always impressed and everything turns out great. Mixing half and half is a great place for me to start and then I can eventually decrease the amount of all-purpose flour I'm baking with. Small steps.

For now though, you need to make this. Make it for a special breakfast tomorrow to celebrate Independence Day. Maybe add some raspberries in for red, or serve strawberries alongside.


Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Ingredients:
1 stick butter, softened
Zest of 1 lemon, or half of large
3/4 c sugar (plus 1 tbsp for topping)
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c all-purpose flour (set aside 1/4 c to toss with blueberries)
1 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 c frozen blueberries (fresh would be fine too)
1/2 c buttermilk plus 2 tbsp

Directions:
Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl.  Add in egg and vanilla. Toss blueberries with reserved 1/4 cup flour, set aside.  In another bowl, mix together 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to cream mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Fold in blueberries, mix until just combined. Add in up to 2 tbsp of additional buttermilk if needed to thin batter a little, batter will be pretty thick though.

Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking pan. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle with extra 1 tbsp sugar for topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until center is done. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.

Adapted from: Alexandra's Kitchen




4 comments:

  1. I love baking with blueberries! This breakfast cake would be devoured at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds and looks delicious! I'm your newest follower through Bloglovin and would love a follow back at gloriouslymade.blogspot.com.
    Have a great day!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe!! I have blueberries in the fridge and was looking for a new recipe for them..this is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm about to load up on blueberries when we go picking this weekend - this cake is SO happening! I'll be featuring this on tomorrow's Show & Share party. See you there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...