Thursday, December 20, 2012

DIY Hot Cocoa Mix


We are officially snowed in today, we're in the midst of our first snowstorm of the year, a blizzard to be exact. I'm perfectly fine staying inside all day long, I've got plenty of baking and other things to keep me busy. The girls on the other hand are itching to get out and play in the snow. With the high winds I think they might have to wait another day. I'm hoping a cup of this hot cocoa might be a fair trade though, that and letting them get all sugared up by decorating cookies.

I spotted this cocoa mix in my latest issue of Taste of Home and then over on Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats so I knew it must be pretty good. My husband's grandma gave us a mason jar filled with homemade hot cocoa mix a couple years ago but the girls always thought it was too much, a little too strong if that makes sense.


Every Monday night after dance class the girls and I sit down to a warm cup of cocoa before bedtime. The hubby bowls that night so it's sort of our little tradition. Good thing this makes a lot, I have a feeling we'll be going through our fair share of hot cocoa this winter.


Have you spotted these Jet-Puffed Mallow bits at the store yet? They come in both vanilla and chocolate flavors and they're perfect for hot cocoa. The girls love adding a few....or maybe 50 to their mugs. This year we're filling adorable coffee mugs with this mix for some quick and easy teacher gifts. I think on days like today they just might appreciate a warm cup of hot cocoa!


DIY Hot Cocoa Mix

Ingredients:
2 3/4 c nonfat dry milk powder
2 c powdered nondairy creamer
1 c powdered sugar
3/4 c baking cocoa
1 (3.9 oz.) pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
Optional- add mallow bits to your mugs before serving

Directions:
In a large airtight container mix together dry milk powder, powdered nondairy creamer, powdered sugar, baking cocoa and instant pudding mix. Add in chocolate chips.

To prepare cocoa: Mix 1/3 c of mix with 3/4 c hot milk in a mug and stir well. Add regular marshmallows or mallow bits if desired.

Store cocoa mix in a cool, dry place. Keeps for 6 months. Makes 7 cups of mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...