Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Roasting a pie pumpkin


On Sunday I cooked my very first pie pumpkin, I was surprised by how easy it was and thought to myself why hadn't I tried this before?  I got about 2 1/2 cups of pumpkin puree out of the one pumpkin so that will be enough for at least one recipe. It's definitely not more frugal than buying canned pumpkin since I am usually able to stock up on cans at a decent price, I still have a few cans from last year when I got them for $.69 each.


I am excited though to see if we notice a difference in the taste between a fresh pumpkin and canned pumpkin.


The whole process will take you maybe 1 1/2 hours tops. I started off by putting the pie pumpkin on a cookie sheet and rubbing the entire surface with some olive oil.


I then put the pumpkin into a preheated oven at 350 degrees and let it cook for an hour. This is what is looked like when I took the pumpkin out of the oven.


After cooling for about 10-15 minutes, I took a long serrated knife and cut the pumpkin in half. The pumpkin puree came out very easily, you'll want to take a spoon and scoop out all of the seeds. You can then put the pumpkin into a food processor to puree just a bit and give it that smooth texture.


Your pumpkin puree will be ready to use in your chosen recipe(s). I decided to freeze mine and use at a later time. I put all 2 1/2 cups into a quart size freezer bag, labeled it and stuck in the freezer. It should keep in the freezer for at least a few months if not longer....I'm sure it won't last that long though!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...