Monday, October 1, 2012

Maid Rites


If you're from Iowa, then I'm pretty sure you've had a maid rite before. They're simply a loose meat sandwich made with seasoned ground beef. I remember eating at a local Maid-Rite restaurant when I was younger, just down the street from my grandma's house. We loved these sandwiches served with pickles and crinkle cut fries on the side.

It's been years since I've ate there, the restaurant by my grandma's has since closed. I seen we have a new location that has opened up in town, they seem to always be very busy. I guess we love our maid rites. We like to enjoy our own version at home, I make them up ahead of time and let them warm in the crockpot during the day. Our house smells fantastic when it's dinner time! I'll drain the extra juices and serve them on buns with pickles of course, fruit and veggies....and we can't forget our fries.

Now that it's fall and our weekends seem to be filled with football games, tailgating and other fun activities. These would be a perfect addition to your menu. I love when I can throw things in the crockpot and let the guests serve themselves, leaves me more time to enjoy their company!


Maid Rites

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/3 c ketchup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c chicken broth
Hamburger buns, to serve on


Directions:
In a large skillet, brown ground beef until no longer pink, drain juices. Add cooked ground beef to a crockpot along with ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Cook on low for at least a couple hours to allow all the flavors to come together. When ready to serve, drain the juices. Serve the seasoned ground beef on hamburger buns with pickles and other toppings if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I found this on pinterest! I live in Iowa and my grandma lived outside of Marshalltown, so I've had plenty of maid rite heaven!:) I usually steam my meat in a steamer basket.. kinda like how they do it, but I definitely wanna try the crockpot version. Low and slow sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt and uncle owned the dairy queen in Corvallis Oregon. My aunt made them there. I have the recipe somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like mine gresesy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...