Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Slow Cooker Applesauce



Making homemade applesauce is one of my favorite fall projects. It's so easy and it tastes so good! I dump all of the apples in the slow cooker after I've peeled, cored and chopped them up. Add a little bit of sugar and water (sometimes we add cinnamon as well), put the lid on and come back in 3 hours to a wonderful pot of chunky homemade goodness.


I always make sure to store extras in the freezer so we can enjoy this yummy treat throughout the winter, it never seems to last long enough though. You can do the same thing with pears, I've actually got a pot of pear sauce going right now as we speak. This will be my first time trying it with pears, I'll have to let you know how it turns out.


Slow Cooker Applesauce

10 apples- (I normally use Cortland or Regents that I get from a local apple orchard, I'm sure just about any kind of apple will work for this. I used Honeycrisp this time since that's all they had at the market, it made a much sweeter applesauce)

3/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon, if desired
1/2 c water (If I have apple juice on hand, I like to use that instead)

Directions:
Peel, core and chop apples, I like my applesauce chunky so I make sure to leave my apples in big pieces. Add apples to your slow cooker. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over top. Add in water or apple juice and give a quick stir. Cook on low for 3 hours or until apples are tender and able to mush easily. With your spoon sort of smash the apples if desired to make a smooth consistency, leave chunky if you'd like. Let cool and then transfer to containers. Store in fridge or once completely cooled place in freezer. I got 2 small-med sized plastic containers full out of this batch otherwise you can fill about 4 pint sized canning jars.




1 comment:

  1. I just made a version of applesauce in the slow cooker, yours looks so good! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm a new follower. I have a Wednesday link party if you'd like to share:

    http://www.millerfamilyorganizer.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-share-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...