Monday, August 27, 2012

Barbecue Chicken and Penne Skillet




One of my favorite meals to make is barbecue pulled pork or chicken, but it seems like we always have tons leftover. It's nice to enjoy them for the next day's lunch but after that I start to get burnt out. Here's a great way to re-purpose those leftovers and create something totally new!

We made this for lunch a few weeks back and I was really surprised when all the kids really enjoyed it. I think just about everything was gone on their plates and that's one way I know it's a keeper.  You can use any sort of bbq meat in this dish and I love how it makes for a quick meal. When I have multiple children to feed during the lunch hour, I love dishes that can be made in 15-20 minutes. It makes my life so much easier!

Barbecue Chicken (or Pork) and Penne Skillet

Ingredients:
8 oz. penne pasta
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 c leftover bbq pulled pork or chicken
14 oz. can diced tomatoes w/green chiles, undrained
3/4 c diced bell pepper, I used both green and red
1/2 c beef broth
1 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
Grated or shredded cheddar cheese to top with

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package. While that's cooking, in a large skillet melt butter, add in oil, garlic and peppers and saute for a couple mins. Add in tomatoes, broth, chicken, cumin, salt and pepper. Let simmer until heated through. Drain pasta and add into skillet. Sprinkle cheese on top and let melt. Remove from heat and serve.

Adapted from: Real Mom Kitchen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...