Monday, June 11, 2012

PW's Sloppy Joes



I've mentioned before how much I enjoy reading through Pioneer Woman's cookbooks, especially her newest. Besides the step-by-step pictures, I love her approach to simple, good, down-home cooking. I don't think there's been a recipe yet I've tried that we haven't liked.

There's not any complicated ingredients in these, nor anything that really makes them special. I think they're just common staples that make up a good sloppy joe sandwich. My family likes to be boring and stick to just ketchup in theirs while I love to add extra ingredients like green peppers, mustard and brown sugar. I really enjoyed the extra touch of serving these on a toasted bun, it's not something I had thought to do before. It's that extra step that makes it really good!



Pioneer Woman's Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:
1-1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Dash of hot sauce
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Hamburger buns
Butter

Directions:

Brown ground beef in a large skillet over med-high heat until no longer pink. Drain fat and discard. Add green pepper and garlic, cook for a few minutes until peppers start to soften. Add in all seasonings and sauces, let simmer for 20 minutes and adjust seasonings if needed.
Spread butter on buns and brown on a griddle or skillet. Top with meat mixture and desired toppings such as cheese or pickles.

Adapted from: Pioneer Woman

1 comment:

  1. I love her cookbooks! I haven't tried her sloppy joes though! These sound great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...