Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Easy Homemade Waffles


My family loves waffles for breakfast and I have to admit I didn't always make my own; we used to buy those frozen boxes of waffles a lot for a quick breakfast in the morning. Until I received a waffle maker for Christmas a few years ago and discovered making my own homemade waffles taste so much better and are a lot cheaper!

Now it just seems to be routine on the weekends to make up a double or even triple batch of these and put the extras in our freezer for a quick meal in the mornings. It really only takes about 10 minutes at most to whip up a batch, after everyone's ate their fair share I put the extras on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them so I can later transfer them to large ziploc baggies.

The recipe I like to use comes from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook, you know the red and white checkered one that I'm sure everyone has in their kitchen. No fancy ingredients, I'm sure you always have everything needed on hand. We like to top ours with warm maple syrup and fresh berries. What's your favorite waffle topping? Do you have a favorite waffle recipe?




Homemade Waffles

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 canola oil
2 egg whites

Directions:

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add in egg yolks, milk and oil and stir just until moistened. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg mixture. Do not overmix, make sure to leave a few fluffs of egg whites. Pour about 1 cup of batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle maker. Close lid and don't open until done. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Makes 12 individual waffles. Serve warm with desired toppings.

* If you're in a hurry, you can choose not to separate the eggs and put everything together in one bowl. They'll turn out just fine, I think these are a little more fluffy but they'll still taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...