Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Homemade Pizza Dough


After trying many recipes for homemade pizza dough, I've found my keeper! Friday nights tend to be pizza night in our house, I usually have cake orders to be working on and the last thing I want to worry about is cooking. We get our fair share of take-out pizza but after discovering this recipe in my Baking Illustrated cookbook, I don't think we'll be doing so much of that anymore. I surely did not receive any complaints as it was gobbled up by everyone including the hubby!

This is also the recipe I used for my Pizza Bites. Make sure to put those on your list for easy Super Bowl snacks!



Homemade Pizza Dough

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
1 envelope (about 2 1/4 tsp) instant yeast
1 1/4 cups water, at room temp
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Olive oil or nonstick cooking spray for oiling bowl

Directions:
Measure warm water into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in the yeast and let stand for 5 minutes, until yeast dissolves and swells. Add the room-temp water and oil and stir to combine.

Process the flour and salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment, just briefly to combine. Slowly add the liquid ingredients, continue to mix at low speed until dough forms a cohesive mass. Stop mixer and replace paddle with a dough hook. Knead for about 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Form dough into a ball, put into a deep oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise until doubled, about 2 hours. Press the dough to deflate it.

To bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Work with one piece of dough at a time and keep the other covered. Shape dough onto pizza stone/pan, spread with desired toppings. Bake until crust edges and cheese start to turn golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Source: Baking Illustrated

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that looks heavenly! For real, I'm a cheese pizza lover, and I have never been able to find a pizza dough recipe that rose correctly. I'm definitely gonna try this one and I'll let you know how it turns out! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...